Thursday, July 17, 2008

Running Out of Petrol

Woke up and got ready to go to college. It was 9.30am so I thought I would finally be able to listen to JJ and Rudy. I started the car and "Pump It Louder" was playing. Suddenly, my car started to jump! I turned off the engine and tried again.

Every time I started the car, the RPM will be at "2000" and quickly drop to "0" then, the engine would go off. After a few times, I called dad. He asked me to try another time and if it didn't work, I was to call some mechanic.

The second time wasn't any different from the previous attempts. I looked at the petrol gauge and I noticed that the petrol was EMPTY! I went in and asked mum to go and buy petrol with me. She came up with this bright idea of cutting a 1.5litre bottle and fill that with the petrol we were going to buy.

What a smart a**! Imagine we were holding that with the cover cut off and we come to a bump. *~Splash~* the petrol will be all over the car! I told her it was a bad idea but we couldn't think of any other way. So, we brought that along to the Shell station.

We went there and told the guy what happened. He suggested we rent a square 5 litre Aluminum can for RM5 and pump petrol inside. Another petrol attendant picked up my phone from the floor and gave it back to me. I said thanks to him. He could have stolen it and not say anything and I would have noticed it. He deserves a cheer! WOOOOOT!

So the guy helped us fill that tank with RM9 worth of petrol. Mum asked for a funnel and we left after that. At home, we had trouble opening the can. Mum got our neighbor to open it for us. It was impossible to use the funnel because the "mouth" was slanted. If we poured the petrol into the funnel, only a little bit of petrol would get into the car's tank and the rest would just be wasted on the floor.

The Aluminum Can and the Funnel

Then, someone came up with a barbaric idea. She forced the funnel and cracked it. That managed to get some petrol into the tank, filled their hands with petrol and also left some petrol on the road! I knew I had to come up with an idea quick to STOP this ridiculous thing from continuing.

So, here is what my brain came up with:

Step 1: Pour the petrol into a 500ml bottle with the help of the funnel

Step 2: Carefully pour the petrol into the "mouth" from the 500ml bottle


That helped us get the job done without wasting much petrol. It took us 5 to 6 rounds to pour everything in. When we were doing that, it attracted some busy-bodies to slow their cars down to look at us.

After that, I managed to start the car and drove to Shell again. I pumped RM90 of Super into the car. I also returned the aluminum can and the funnel and got the RM5 back. Then, I continued my journey to APIIT. I was already more than an hour late and the Morning Crew was already off air.

The lesson for today is to always check the petrol gauge when driving. Might not be so lucky next time and I could be stuck in a Highway! Anyway, at least I had a good "hands on" experience rather than just listening to boring advice. Besides, at least now I know (you too) that petrol is actually yellow and NOT black.

When I reached ENT3, I met up with CQ, LY, AL and ZS. We studied by ourselves and halfway through, some of them played GB or listened to their music. I forced myself not to be distracted and read through some the notes.

Around 12pm, we went to Old Town White Coffee in Sri Petaling. ZS and I were the first to arrive. We waited for the others before ordering. I got myself a bowl of "Ipoh Chicken Hor Fun" and a cup of "enriched old town white coffee (gao)" with ice. The Hor Fun tasted ordinary to me but the drink was nice and bitter. CQ ordered Assam Laksa and she told me it wasn't nice.

After lunch, I dropped ZS in the LRT station and went home. Read through more of the notes. I got bored after a while and gave up. Facebooked and chatted till 5.30pm. I decided to take a nap. I woke up at 6.50pm and continued surfing/chatting.

We had dinner at 8pm. Mum and I was telling M about our dramatic event earlier this morning. We laughed and had fun. Mum asked us to go for ice-cream but no one bothered to reply her. Tomorrow is my first paper! Malaysian Studies! Luckily we have a weeks break after that before the exam of our other subjects starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...